I love butternut squash, meatballs and cheese! So this recipe looks the perfect one for me to try.
A delicious, low carb recipe, perfect for a weekend lunchtime.
- 2 medium-sized spaghetti squash
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1lb prepared meatballs
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pierce the centre of the spaghetti squash several times on all sides with a small, sharp knife then microwave for 3 minutes, flipping once. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise with a very sharp knife, then remove seeds with a spoon. Lay halves cut side up on a foil-lined, non-stick sprayed baking sheet then brush with oil and season liberally with salt & pepper. Roast for 50-60 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the thickest part of the squash meets no resistance. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- While squash is roasting, prepare and bake meatballs.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, scrape flesh every which way with a fork to loosen and fluff strands. Top with 4 meatballs, 1/4 cup sauce, and 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese each, then broil until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.