This is my favourite savoury pie recipe yet. So easy to make and is full of flavour.
I found this recipe on the tesco website and really think everyone should give it a go!
If you can, try making your own shortcrust pastry, a lot tastier in my opinion. My recipe is here.
Prep Time: 25 minutes – Cook Time: 35 minutes – Total Time: 60 minutes – Servings: 6
For an exciting family dinner try this rustic chicken pie. Shredded chicken pairs perfectly with salty pancetta, succulent mushrooms and crème fraîche for a delicious dish.
- olive oil
- 100g (3 1/2oz) pancetta cubes
- 1 leek, trimmed and sliced
- 200g (7oz) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp plain flour
- 200ml (1/3pt) cold chicken stock
- 75ml (3fl oz) white wine (optional)
- handful thyme leaves
- 75g (3oz) crème fraîche
- 200g (7oz) cooked chicken breast, cubed or shredded
- 2 x 375g packs ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Heat a small amount of oil in a large pan. Add the pancetta and cook for a few minutes, until just starting to crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. In the same pan, fry the leek and mushrooms for 5-10 minutes, until cooked (add a little extra oil, if needed).
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Return the pancetta to the pan, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, then add the stock, white wine (if using) and thyme. Season well and simmer for a few minutes. Remove from the heat, leave to cool slightly, then stir in the crème fraîche and chicken.
- Roll out half the pastry until large enough to line the base of a round 20cm (8in) pie dish. Spoon the chicken mixture on top. Roll out the remaining pastry and cut into long ribbons about 1.5cm (3/4in) wide. Weave the strips over the filling to create a lattice effect, then trim and discard any over-hanging dough. Press down around the edges to neaten and seal.
- Brush the pastry lattice all over with the beaten egg. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the filling is piping hot and the pastry is golden.
Tip: To avoid a soggy bottom, pop your pie dish on a preheated baking sheet – the heat will help the base cook quicker.
Let me know how you get on!